- nouneach of the welds made by welding at a separate point• Syn: ↑spot weld• Derivationally related forms: ↑spotweld, ↑spotweld (for: ↑spot weld), ↑spot-weld (for: ↑spot weld)• Hypernyms: ↑weldverbmake circular welds-
These pipes are only spotwelded• Syn: ↑spotweld• Derivationally related forms:↑spot welding, ↑spot weld, ↑spot-welder, ↑spot welding (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot weld (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot-weld (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot-welder (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot-welding (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot-welding, ↑spot welder (for: ↑spotweld), ↑spot welder• Hypernyms: ↑weld• Verb Frames:-
Somebody ——s something
* * *I. \\ˈ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷\ noun: a joint made by spot weldingII. transitive verb: to weld two pieces at isolated spots rather than in a continuous seam
* * */spot"weld'/, v.t.1. to weld (two pieces of metal) together in a small area or spot by the application of heat and pressure.n.2. a welded joint made by this process.
* * *spotˈ-weld transitive verbTo join metal with single circular weldsnounA weld of this kind• • •Main Entry: ↑spot
* * *spot-weld «SPOT WEHLD», transitive verb.to weld by passing electric current through the contacting spots and applying pressure: »
It has also proved possible to spot-weld electrically studs and stiffener brackets to the steel back of the laminate without damaging the film on the surface (New Scientist).a weld made by spot-welding.
* * *1.v. [trans.] join by welding at a number of separate points2.
the wire was spot-welded in placen. spot weld each of the welds so madeDerivatives:spot welder n. spot welding n.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
spot-weld — /spot weld /, v.t. 1. to weld (two pieces of metal) together in a small area or spot by the application of heat and pressure. n. 2. a welded joint made by this process. * * * … Universalium
spot-weld — spot′ weld v. t. 1) bui mel to weld (two pieces of metal) together in a small area by the application of heat and pressure 2) bui mel a welded joint made by this process • Etymology: 1905–10 … From formal English to slang
Spot weld — Spot weld. См. Шов точечной сварки. (Источник: «Металлы и сплавы. Справочник.» Под редакцией Ю.П. Солнцева; НПО Профессионал , НПО Мир и семья ; Санкт Петербург, 2003 г.) … Словарь металлургических терминов
spot-weld — ► VERB ▪ join by welding at a number of separate points … English terms dictionary
spot weld — noun each of the welds made by welding at a separate point • Syn: ↑spot weld • Derivationally related forms: ↑spotweld (for: ↑spot weld), ↑spot weld (for: ↑spot weld), ↑ … Useful english dictionary
spot-weld — verb join by welding at a number of separate points. noun (spot weld) a weld so made. Derivatives spot welder noun … English new terms dictionary
spot-weld — /ˈspɒt wɛld/ (say spot weld) verb (t) 1. to weld (two pieces of metal) together by compressing them between two electrodes through which a heavy current passes for a short time. 2. to join (thermoplastic materials) together at a number of spots… … Australian English dictionary
spot weld — a weld so made. → spot weld … English new terms dictionary
spot weld — 1. noun A weld made by spot welding 2. verb To join pieces of metal using spot welding … Wiktionary
spot weld — Fastening parts together by fusing, at various spots. Heavy surge of electricity is passed through the parts held in firm contact by electrodes … Dictionary of automotive terms